Thursday, May 26, 2011

Digesting Meat

So I discoverd a random fun fact today while laying around watching a documentary with lil Winston. (He loves to cuddle up on the couch and watch TV!)

Ready?
The intestine of a Herbivore (animal) or human is said to be 10-12 times the length of their body (some say just the trunk), whereas the intestine  of a carnivore (animal) is only about 3 times the length of their bodies. A carnivore's intestine can be decribed as more of a "pipe" that is smooth on the inside and designed to get that meat in and out before it has a chance to start to putrify. So with our intestine being sooooo much longer and not being smooth on the inside...does that mean that my cheeseburger from 3 days ago is still partying in my transverse colon??

Interesting. Though I am not a vegetarian, it makes me wonder, were we designed to consume meat? I am open to thoughts on this. I don't know that I will give up my bacon anytime soon. ;)

Here is the website that has a very interesting comparision on herbivore digestion (including humans) versus carnivore. This isn't the only place I have got this info from, but it sums it up pretty well. http://www.waoy.org/26.html


No comments:

Post a Comment